Friday, January 28, 2011

Evening of Day 3

Our hosts had a wedding to attend this evening, and we were fortunate to be invited to Steve and Patrice's apartment for dinner.  They are the volunteers from California who are staying on campus for two months in hopes of learning enough Spanish to communicate with their future in-laws.  They are also wonderful hosts and we enjoyed a fabulous meal and conversation.  We learned about their family of one son and three daughters, Steve's second career as a middle school teacher, and that both are better with plastic than glass.  Kailey got to have a second piece of Patrice's delicious chocolate birthday cake and I had my first cerveza on Colombian turf.  We planned our day trip tomorrow which will consist of a bus to the Metro and a tram ride up the mountainside.  We figured out how many pesos to take and Steve offered to take his backpack for any purchases we might make along the way.  I am so excited for this last adventure before I return home on Sunday.  We walked home from their apartment, and took in the breathtaking view once again of the zillion sparkling dots of light on the mountainside.  I could not capture this view on my camera, but I hope it is forever imprinted in my mind.  As we went to the gate, I spoke my favorite evening greetings and struggled with my masculine or feminine tenses of words (somehow, night is feminine and day is masculine...and Kailey thinks this makes perfect sense).  I am getting comfortable with Ciao as no one really says Adios (go figure) and shortening Buenas Noches to simply "Buenas."  Por fa works instead of Por Favor, and I just say "como?" (what?) and gracias a whole lot.  I learned that I use a ton of non-essential words in my daily chattering, and this becomes evident when I am communicating to someone who speaks little or no English.  I think I have discovered the art of "male communication."  Just the essential two or three words will do in most cases.
As I am sitting here at the table, the patio door is cracked so that I can feel the evening breeze and hear the sounds outside.  A fruit bat occasionally dives into the brick enclosed area, and an engine sound or horn is heard in the distance.  I think a parade of musical instruments went by, and I can't figure that one out.  I envy Kailey's challenges, opportunities for growth, and lifetime memories that will come after I leave.  And....a new friend who introduced himself as we walked across the street and into our gated residential area--Ruben (accent on the second syllable) will likely be a part of it all.  Some English, some Spanish, and a class in common makes for the start of a perfect friendship.
Buenas Noches Amigos!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how you fit so much into one day! Your descriptions are fantastic and I love how you have inserted your photos! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it is the start of "Guiding Lights" there in Columbia! You know how we love our stories!

    ReplyDelete